What Attracts Mosquitoes?
Portland OR - Beaverton OR - Lake Oswego OR - Vancouver WA
Have you ever wondered why some people seem to be bitten by mosquitoes more than others? Or what attracts mosquitoes to your property in the first place? The experts at Summit Pest Management explain everything you need to know, and how you can prevent these pests from taking over your backyard.
What Attracts Mosquitoes To My Yard?
Mosquitoes can make it impossible to enjoy your backyard in peace. Understanding what attracts these pests to your yard is the first step in taking effective measures to keep them at bay. Here are some factors that make your yard appealing to mosquitoes:
- Standing water: Mosquitoes require stagnant water for breeding. Birdbaths, landscaping equipment, flower pot saucers, and discarded containers can become prime breeding grounds.
- Dense vegetation: Mosquitoes are more likely to infest areas with plenty of hiding places. Thick shrubs, overgrown grass, and dense foliage provide mosquitoes with shade, moisture, and shelter during the day.
- Poor drainage: Areas with excessive moisture, such as leaky outdoor faucets or poorly drained landscapes, can attract mosquitoes. These pests are particularly drawn to homes with drainage issues or overflowing gutters.
Ready for pest service?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me So Much?
If you find yourself constantly being targeted by mosquitoes, you may wonder why they seem to have a particular affinity for you. While mosquito preferences can vary from person to person, there are several key factors that contribute to their biting behavior. Here are some reasons why mosquitoes might be drawn to you:
- Body odor: Mosquitoes have a keen sense of smell and are attracted to certain scents emitted by our bodies, such as sweat and lactic acid. These scents can vary among individuals, making some people more appealing to mosquitoes than others.
- Blood type: Research suggests that mosquitoes may have preferences when it comes to blood types. People with Type O blood, for example, may be targeted by mosquitoes more often than those with Type A or Type B blood.
- Carbon dioxide and heat: Mosquitoes are highly responsive to carbon dioxide (CO2) and are attracted to its presence. When we exhale, we release CO2, which acts as a strong attractant for mosquitoes. Additionally, mosquitoes are drawn to body heat and movement, making warm-blooded individuals prime targets.
- Clothing color: Mosquitoes are attracted to contrasting colors, particularly darker shades. Wearing dark clothing can make you more visible and appealing to mosquitoes.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women often experience increased mosquito bites. This is believed to be due to higher body temperatures, increased carbon dioxide production, and changes in hormone levels, which make pregnant women more attractive to mosquitoes.
While it may be frustrating to be a mosquito magnet, understanding these factors can help you take proactive measures to minimize mosquito bites. Implementing strategies such as wearing light-colored clothing, using mosquito repellents, and eliminating standing water in your vicinity can help reduce your attractiveness to these persistent pests.
How to Get Rid of Mosquitoes Outside
Mosquitoes don’t have to ruin your summer! Though it may feel impossible to avoid these pests, there are some steps you can take to reduce their populations and minimize your risk of a bite. Some ways you can avoid mosquito bites include:
- Removing sources of still water
- Replacing broken door or window screens
- Installing mosquito netting
- Wearing an EPA-registered repellent
- Get professional mosquito control
If you’ve tried everything and are still dealing with mosquitoes or other pests, call the experts at Summit Pest Management! Our team of licensed exterminators is prepared to create a customized treatment plan that will protect your property long-term. We’re well versed in the habits of local pests here in the Pacific Northwest, so we have the tools and expertise to get rid of them quickly. To schedule your appointment, give us a call today!Back to Mosquito Exterminators – Control – Removal
What Attracts Mosquitoes? in Portland OR & Vancouver WA
Serving Portland Oregon & Vancouver Washington